Pages

Friday 3 June 2016

Word Of The Day: Pierian

Definitions for Pierian
  1. of or relating to poetry or poetic inspiration.
  2. of or relating to the Muses.
  3. of or relating to Pieria.

Citations for Pierian
And the fellow of this verse terminated like myself in 'boots.'--Other efforts were equally successful--'bloom' suggested to my imagination no rhyme but 'perfume'!--'despair' only reminded me of my 'hair'--and 'hope' was met, at the end of the second verse, by the inharmonious antithesis of 'soap.' Finding, therefore, that my forte was not in the Pierian line, I redoubled my attention to my dress … Edward Bulwer Lytton, Pelham, 1828
In the vast Pierian springs of his imagination now mostly dry, Sandrino found a gusher, and he wrote at the top of his ability. Frank Palescandolo, Remembrance of a Restaurant, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed by Jide Ogunsanya.